The Heart of Colorado
This tour will allow you to discover the heart of Colorado, not only because it is in the center of the state but because it will allow you to explore the many different attributes that makes Colorado so special. You will explore the many natural wonders and rich history of the region.
Starting in Manitou Springs, in the shadow of 14,110-foot Pikes Peak, the route will travel through the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument with evidence that the area was once covered by oceans. Overnight in Canon City, home of the Royal Gorge, a dramatic crevasse spanned by North America’s highest suspension bridge.
The route continues along the Arkansas River, the most commercially rafted river in America to Salida, full of history, outdoor adventure, art and a welcoming downtown. Although gold-seekers first settled here, it was farmers and ranchers who made Salida a lasting community.
Day 3 will head towards the mountain town of Crested Butte. After climbing Monarch Pass you will descend into wide valleys as you head into Gunnison with stunning views of the Collegiate Mountains. The final leg of the day, on the bike or in the van, will end in Crested Butte, a town surrounded in summer by so many blooming meadows that the Colorado legislature dubbed it the Wildflower Capital of Colorado.
Many of the roads in Colorado are packed dirt such as Kebler Pass outside of Crested Butte on the way to Aspen. After Kebler Pass the route will meander through the farm towns leading into Carbondale, one of the gateways to Aspen. Nestled in the heart of the White River National Forest and surrounded by the peaks of the Elk Mountains, Aspen is well known as a ski destination, but the town’s history and offerings go much deeper.
The centerpiece of the tour is Independence Pass, the route between the frontier mining town of Leadville and the tony ski resort of Aspen. There’s no shortage of amazing views as you twist up and around the two-lane road, eventually summiting atop the Continental Divide at 12,095 feet above sea level. The day will end at one of Colorado’s 27 hot springs, Mt. Princeton Hot Springs, that boasts numerous geothermal springs. There are 30 small pools are located right in Chalk Creek, perfect muscle relaxants for a successful day.
The final day winds through the South Park National Heritage Park and goes full circle ending in Manitou Springs for the final dinner celebration.
- Day 1: Arrival (The Cliff House at Pikes Peak )
- Day 2: Manitou Springs to Canon City ( The Holiday Motel )
- Day 3: Canon City to Salida ( The Palace Hotel )
- Day 4: Salida to Crested Butte ( Elk Mountain Lodge )
- Day 5: Crested Butte to Aspen (Molly Gibson Lodge )
- Day 6: Aspen to Buena Vista (Mt. Princeton Hot Springs Resort )
- Day 7: Buena Vista to Manitou Springs ( The Cliff House at Pikes Peak )
- Day 8: Departure
- 288 to 475 miles depending on route options
- Every day there are multiple options provided so you can ride to your comfort level
- Challenging Option includes multiple climbs and descents, while the more intermediate option bypasses the climbs and does shorter distances
- Sunday, July 23 – Sunday July 30, 2017
- 8 days/7 Nights
- $3,285 Double Occupancy
- Single Supplement $850
- 6 ½ days of cycling
- 7 nights of lodging
- 6 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 3 dinners
- The services of 2-3 professional bike tour guides
- Full van support throughout your stay
- Daily route notes & maps
- CST Jersey made by Primal Wear
- Airport Pickup and Drop-Off
- Different route options to choice from every day
- Does not Include:
- Gratuities for staff
If you are interested in talking about this tour or receiving the full itinerary, let us know!